Starting from 1st January 2017, we are planning on rolling out a FREE Wi-Fi network, starting at the northern end of Russell Island, and hopefully expanding our range throughout the year. The more popular the service, the more likely we are to expand.
Our initial goal is to cover the most busy areas, such as the cafes, library, ferry terminal etc.
Currently we cover a decent size area between the Supa IGA and the ferry terminal. Depending on your device (phone, tablet, laptop etc) you should be able to get a decent signal at businesses such as Aunty Alices Cafe, My Health Aisle, Fresh on Bayview, as well as public areas such as the play ground, recreation hall and even the jetty terminal.
How to connect
In order to get access to the FREE Wi-Fi, there are a few steps you need to follow.
- On your device (tablet, phone, laptop) search for wireless networks.
- Join the wireless network named “Bay Islands Info FREE Wi-Fi”
- You will be redirected to the “Bay Islands Info FREE Wi-Fi” landing page (see Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Bay Islands Info FREE Wi-Fi landing page
Once connected to our FREE Wi-Fi, you can browse and do as you please, with the following limitations:
- There is a session limit of one hour (60 minutes). This means you will be automatically disconnected after one hour of use.
- If you reach the session limit and are disconnected, there is a two hour ‘lockout period’ before you are able to reconnect.
- There is a 100 megabyte limit per session. If you go over this limit, you will be disconnected, and have to wait for the ‘lockout period’ to finish before reconnecting.
- The connection is speed limited to 2048 kbit/sec download, and 512 kbit/sec upload.
As well as the FREE Wi-Fi access, we also offer paid plans, with more download quota and higher speeds. These plans are available on the landing page when you connect to the “Bay Islands Info FREE Wi-Fi” network. You can pay via Credit Card directly from your device, or if you need a more custom plan (more data, faster speeds) then you can come and see us Monday-Friday from 9:30am-4:30pm at our office, which is located at 2/2 Bayview Road, Russell Island.
We currently offer 3 levels of paid plans, which are as follows:
- “Basic 8 hours” which gives you a total of 8 hours of access to our Wi-Fi network. It comes with a 4096 kbit/sec speed limit, and 2Gb of included data. This plan costs $14.99.
- “Premium 24 hours” which gives you a total of 24 hours of access to our Wi-Fi network. It comes with a 8192 kbit/sec speed limit, and 5Gb of included data. This plan costs $24.99.
- “Premium 72 hours” which gives you a total of 72 hours of access to our Wi-Fi network. It comes with a 8192 kbit/sec speed limit, and 20Gb of included data. This plan costs $49.99.